If you want your PC with Windows 7 operating system to work as server then you definitely want to stop automatic rebooting after Windows Update install new patches.
To do this you need to do the following:
- Open the Registry Edit (WindowsKey + R, “regedit.exe“)
(Remember to be careful! DON’T change anything unless you know exactly what you’re doing!)
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
Chances are that you’ll be missing these keys.
If keys WindowsUpdate\AU exist, go ahead to step 3
OTHERWISE, continue through these indented steps…
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
- (Make sure the above key is highlighted and) go to the edit menu and choose New > Key
- Name the key WindowsUpdate
- Now, repeat the above steps, except highlight WindowsUpdate and name the next keyAU
- With WindowsUpdate\AU highlighted, create a new 32-bit DWORD calledNoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers
- Right click on your newly created value and give it a value data of 1 (hexadecimal)
- Double check all the steps to make sure you did everything EXACTLY how I explained it
- Close Registry Editor